Every business has unique objectives, business processes, and requirements. Today’s businesses are looking for ERP implementations to synchronize all information and functions within the organization. We have listed top open-source ERP systems that will help you to improve your internal business process and overall business performance.
Table of Contents
Dolibarr ERP system provides complete end-to-end solutions for small and midsize businesses. It has everything that ERP needs. With its fairly structured interface, it offers everything–from tracking and keeping records of orders, invoices, inventory, contracts, and payments, to handling electronic documents and assisting the point-of-sale system. To streamline the processes and improve profitability, it provides modules to manage ERP, CRM, sales, address book, events, finances, projects, calendars, etc.
With an auto-installer feature in Dolibarr, people with little or no technical knowledge can install and use Dolibarr with all its prerequisites within just one package.
Those packages are :
- For Windows users- DoliWamp
- For Debian/Ubuntu users- DoliDeb
- For Linux RedHat/Fedora/OpenSuse/Mandriva/Mageia users- DoliRpm
- And, for all other OS and Cloud solutions- “generic” version.
Some key facts about Dolibarr:
- Latest Dolibarr version is 9.0, released in February 2019.
- It is written in PHP.
- It is a web-based application that can be accessed via the internet.
- It is free under GNU General Public License 3.0.
- Its code is highly customizable.
- It supports multi-user, multi-currency and multi-language.
- It uses MySQL, MariaDB or PostgreSQL databases.
Dolibarr has support for only one company or foundation. It means if you want to manage two different companies, then you are required to install the software twice. If you want to manage several companies with one installation, you need to buy Module MultiCompany on www.dolistore.com.
Odoo is an all-in-one management software that contains a suite of related business applications. It provides modules for project management, warehouse, eCommerce, inventory management, billing, accounting, purchasing, and manufacturing. Odoo apps are perfectly integrated with each other, allowing a seamless exchange of information among its modules. It will help you to automate your business process efficiently.
The Odoo interface resembles the interface of Google Drive, displaying only those functions that need to be visible. With its simple interface, it can make even a complex ERP system a user-friendly experience.
You can try Odoo for free before you decide to sign up. Here are the pricing details for Odoo:
- For unlimited users, Odoo offers one application for free. And it will remain free as long as you don’t install new apps.
- Odoo offers a free trial for users who want to use more than one app. After the trial period expires, you have to pay a monthly fee to access apps that help you build a website, automate the marketing process, run a CRM and so on.
IoT integration with Odoo
Integration of Odoo and Internet of Things (IoT) technology is disrupting ERP mechanisms. IoT box by Odoo can help you connect external devices such as printers, scanners, footswitch, etc. to the Odoo database. IoT box provides an easy setup and configuration process. Connecting the IoT box to Odoo does not require any technical skills or knowledge. To connect IoT box to the Odoo database, you can go to the Odoo user documentation page.
Advantages of IoT box by Odoo:
- With the fast operations and automation capabilities of IoT box, the time taken for a particular process is significantly reduced.
- There will be less encoding mistakes when the devices are used for inputs.
- The workload will also get reduced.
ERPNext is a full-featured business management solution, designed to replace an outdated and expensive proprietary ERP implementation. It includes modules for financial, accounting, CRM, purchasing, sales, inventory, manufacturing, e-commerce, healthcare, and education.
ERPNext lets you remain informed and fact-based, enabling you to make timely decisions for your enterprise. To stay ahead of the competition, it adds power, transparency, and control to your growing business.
ERPNext helps you with the following:
- Keep track of all invoices, payments, budgets, and spending.
- Understand the quantity and availability of products in-stock.
- Track your Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Identify open customer queries.
- Handle the payrolls of employees and also assign tasks and do follow-ups.
- Maintain a database of all your customers and clients.
- Decide effective selling price based on products.
- Remind you of your scheduled maintenance date.
- Publish your website.
ERPNext is built for small and medium businesses. It has a modern interface that follows a simple form-driven approach. All you need to do is enter information in a set of fields and let the application do the rest. The whole application suite is easy to set-up, configure and use.
ERPNext self-support service is free if you are installing it on your own servers. But if you want engineers to help and support you, the ERPNext support service is paid.
Facts about ERPNext:
- Its source code is written in Python.
- It is released under the GPL3 license.
- To store data, it uses MariaDB database.
- According to its official website, more than 3,000 companies are using ERPNext.
You can request for ERPNext demo on – https://frappe.erpnext.com/request-a-demo.
Tryton provides you with a complete enterprise solution with scalability, modularity, and security to run your business.
Tryton includes the following features:
- Financial accounting: Records all your business transactions.
- Sales: Takes follow-up of orders.
- Inventory and stock: Tracks goods from receipt to delivery and in warehouses.
- Analytical accounting: Categorizes your expenses and revenue.
- Purchasing: Takes follow-ups of requests
- Project management: Send invoices to customers and track the project’s profit.
To maximize the modularity of software, the architecture of the Tryton system consists of three parts:
- Tryton Server: The main application that provides functionalities to use Tryton, such as installing Tryton, configuring file for Tryton, setting up the database, starting a server, access rights, translation, testing, etc.
- Database: Database management system such as PostgreSQL.
- Tryton Client: A desktop or scripting client to communicate with the server.
Tryton is not just for business ERPs only. It is a framework that can also be used as a platform for the development of various solutions.
Tryton is written in Python and it’s desktop client uses GTK library, available on Linux, OS X, and Windows. To get a free demo of Tryton, go to http://www.tryton.org/download.
iDempiere is an extensive ERP solution that does everything from invoicing to warehouse management. It is suitable for almost all types of small and medium businesses, supporting the modules for ERP, CRM, project management and supply chain management. It was awarded the “Best Open Source software in the year 2015 and 2016 by InfoWorld’s Bossie Awards”.
Key features of iDempiere:
- Other than ERPs, it is also used to build database-driven applications.
- It contains plug-ins to modify or extend ERP or CRM applications.
- It has a simple, configurable and powerful reporting format that you can export to several platforms (PDF, word-processor, spreadsheet,etc.).
- It enables you to add and post attachments or comments for each record. Hence, you can add unstructured information as an attachment that you find important for your team. It improves the traceability of your transactions.
- It properly manages the Audit Process.
More facts about iDempiere:
- It is written in Java.
- It supports Linux and windows.
- Its system requirements
- It released under GPL v2.
- Like most open-source programs, it depends on community support for troubleshooting.
- It requires more set-up than some of the other ERP tools mentioned in this article.
Flectra is an ultimate business application suite with a powerful modular design covering all essential aspects of your business.
Flectra helps you with the following:
- Organize and manage sales activities.
- Simplifies HR activities- recruitment process, leaves,etc.
- Provides customer support for any size of businesses.
- Manages the accounting process- billing, payments, etc.
- Tracks meetings and calls.
- Provides a Content Management System for your blogs, websites, forum, etc.
- Aligns production with a well-organized process.
- Automate the marketing process, including client acquisition, upselling, etc.
- Manages inventory and Point-of-Sale.
- Possesses project management capabilities.
Flectra provides an open and collaborative development of source code. It originated from a fork of the Odoo community. It offers the same modules that Odoo offers, but with a new user interface.
Here are some services provided by Flectra:
- Bug fix and SLA based support
- Custom feature development and process enhancement
- Project planning and solution design
- Technical, functional and administration training
With its huge set of modules, ERP5 has been adopted worldwide by different sectors of industries- government, banking, healthcare, IT, etc. ERP5 is a suitable solution for you if you are looking for a unified business platform for your company. While most ERPs are business field specific, the ERP5 uses Unified Business Model, to describe its components effectively.
ERP5 can be used for- ERP, CRM, CMS, Product Design Management (PDM), Supply Chain Management (SCM), e-commerce, web publication, data analytics, online office suite, e-mail reader, forum, barcode, human resource, email marketing, invoicing, manufacturing, etc. But it can not be used as a reporting tool or a Geographic Information System.
More about ERP5:
- It is based on Python and Zope.
- It is licensed under GPL.
- It is suitable for almost any type of businesses.
- It has an old and classic interface.
As ERP5 is converging with other technologies (IoT, Big Data, social communication), you will be able to organize your company better.