Outsourcing software development to India is like hiring a band to play at your wedding. You want talented musicians who can deliver a great performance, but you also want reliable partners who can work with you on the details, such as the playlist, the schedule, the equipment, and the budget. You don't want to end up with a band that shows up late, plays off-key, or charges you extra for every song.
But how do you find the right band for your wedding? Or, in this case, the right software developers for your project? Here are some tips on what to look for and what to avoid when outsourcing to India.
Why outsourcing software development to India?
There are many reasons why outsourcing software development to India makes sense for businesses of all sizes and industries. Some of the main benefits are:
- Cost savings: According to a report by Deloitte, outsourcing software development to India can save up to 60% of the total project cost compared to hiring in-house developers in the US or Europe. This is because of the lower wages, taxes, and overhead costs in India.
- Quality work: India is renowned for its extensive talent pool of highly skilled and experienced software developers, consistently delivering work that aligns with international standards and best practices. According to Nasscom's report, India boasts a workforce of over 4.5 million IT professionals and annually produces more than 1.5 million engineering graduates. However, it's important to note that while the talent pool is substantial, the implementation of rigorous recruiting practices remains a crucial factor in harnessing this potential effectively.
- Time efficiency: Outsourcing software development to India can help you speed up your project delivery and reduce your time-to-market. This is because of the time zone difference, which allows you to have round-the-clock communication and collaboration with your outsourced team. You can also leverage the agile methodology, which enables faster feedback and iterations.
- Innovation: Outsourcing software development to India can help you access new ideas and technologies that can enhance your product and give you a competitive edge. India is a hub of innovation and entrepreneurship, with over 50,000 startups and 34 unicorns as of 2020. India also ranks third in the Global Innovation Index 2020 among lower-middle-income countries.
India is not the only country that offers outsourcing services for software development. There are other options, such as China, Eastern Europe, Latin America, and Southeast Asia. So why choose India over these alternatives?
Here are some reasons why India stands out as a preferred destination for outsourcing software development:
- Language proficiency: India has the second-largest English-speaking population in the world, after the US. English is widely used as a medium of education, business, and communication in India. This makes it easier for you to communicate with your outsourced team and avoid misunderstandings or errors due to language barriers.
- Cultural compatibility: India has a diverse and multicultural society that is open and adaptable to different cultures and values. India also shares a strong historical and cultural bond with many Western countries, especially the US and the UK. This makes it easier for you to build rapport and trust with your outsourced team and avoid conflicts or clashes due to cultural differences.
- Legal framework: India has a robust and transparent legal system that protects the rights and interests of both parties in an outsourcing contract. India is a signatory to several international treaties and conventions that govern intellectual property rights, data protection, arbitration, and dispute resolution. This makes it easier for you to safeguard your confidential information, intellectual property, and contractual obligations when outsourcing to India.
Characteristics to look for in an outsourced teammate
Now that you know why outsourcing software development to India is a good idea, how do you find the right outsourced teammates for your project? Here are some characteristics that you should look for when hiring software developers from India:
- Technical skills: The most obvious and important characteristic that you should look for in an outsourced teammate is their technical skills. You want someone who has the relevant expertise, experience, and certifications in the technologies and tools that you need for your project. You can assess their technical skills by reviewing their portfolio, resume, references, testimonials, or online profiles. You can also conduct technical tests or interviews to verify their skills.
- Communication skills: Another crucial characteristic that you should look for in an outsourced teammate is their communication skills. You want someone who can communicate clearly, effectively, and professionally with you and your stakeholders. You can assess their communication skills by observing their written and spoken communication, such as their emails, messages, calls, or video conferences. You can also check their feedback ratings or reviews from previous clients or employers.
- Work ethic: A third essential characteristic that you should look for in an outsourced teammate is their work ethic. You want someone who is reliable, responsible, and responsive. You want someone who can meet deadlines, follow instructions, deliver quality work, and handle changes or challenges. You can assess their work ethic by tracking their progress, performance, and productivity using tools such as Jira, Trello, or Slack. You can also ask for regular updates or reports from them or their managers.
What are some red flags?
While there are many good and trustworthy software developers in India, there are also some bad and shady ones that you should avoid. Here are some red flags that you should watch out for when outsourcing to India:
- Low rates: If the rates offered by an outsourced teammate are too low to be true, they probably are. Low rates may indicate low quality, low skills, or low reliability. They may also indicate hidden costs, such as extra fees, taxes, or charges that are not disclosed upfront. You should always compare the rates with the market average and the value that you expect to get from the project.
- Poor communication: If an outsourced teammate is not responsive, clear, or professional in their communication, they may not be trustworthy or competent. Poor communication may indicate poor understanding, poor execution, or poor collaboration. It may also indicate a lack of interest, commitment, or respect for your project. You should always establish clear and frequent communication channels and expectations with your outsourced team.
- Unrealistic promises: If an outsourced teammate makes unrealistic promises, such as delivering a complex project in a short time frame, or guaranteeing a flawless product without any testing or feedback, they may not be honest or realistic. Unrealistic promises may indicate a lack of experience, expertise, or resources. They may also indicate a lack of integrity, transparency, or accountability. You should always set realistic and measurable goals and milestones for your project.
How Zibtek is Revolutionizing Outsourcing With Workforce+
Zibtek is a leading software development company that offers outsourcing services to clients across the globe. Zibtek has a team of over 300 software developers based in India who can work on any project, from web and mobile apps to enterprise systems and cloud solutions.
But what makes Zibtek different from other outsourcing companies is its unique platform called Workforce+. Workforce+ is a revolutionary tool that allows you to manage your outsourced team as if they were your own employees. With Workforce+, you can:
- Hire the best talent: Workforce+ helps you find and hire the best software developers from India based on your project requirements and preferences. You can browse through hundreds of profiles, filter by skills, experience, ratings, availability, and more. You can also conduct interviews and tests to assess their fit for your project.
- Manage the project: Workforce+ helps you manage your project from start to finish using agile methodologies and best practices. You can create tasks, assign roles, set deadlines, track progress, monitor performance, and communicate with your team using tools such as Jira, Trello, Slack, Zoom, and more. You can also access reports and analytics to measure the results and outcomes of your project.
- Pay securely: Workforce+ helps you pay your outsourced team securely and transparently using escrow services and smart contracts. You can set up milestones and payments based on the completion and quality of the work. You can also review and approve the work before releasing the funds. You can also use multiple payment methods such as credit cards, PayPal, wire transfers, and more.
Zibtek is more than just an outsourcing company. It is a partner that helps you achieve your business goals with software development. Whether you need a full-stack developer, a UI/UX designer, a QA engineer, or a project manager, Zibtek has the right person for you.
If you are interested in outsourcing software development to India with Zibtek, contact us today for a free consultation and quote.